Author Topic: Hollins Communication Research Institute  (Read 5694 times)

mikejh74

• View Profile
Hollins Communication Research Institute
« on: February 18, 2012, 01:18:12 PM »
I am 37 years old and have a mild stutter.  I have went to cognitive therapy as well as traditional speech therapy for a very short period of time.  I also tried hypnotherapy as well as acupuncture.  I recently listened to an interview with John Stossel about stuttering and his experience with Hollins.  He sounded very similar to my experience and he also indicated that this was the best help for him.  I have recently enrolled in Hollins for next month and am curious about any experiences with Hollins. Admin - I noticed that you had indicated that this was the best help for you in particular.  Could you expound upon your experience?  If anyone else has experience, I would certainly be interested to hear your feedback.

Thanks!

Flip4913

• View Profile
Re: Hollins Communication Research Institute
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 07:39:59 PM »
Hi  Mike:  May 1st   I am late in seeing your post.  I assume you have been or are now at Hollins.  How did you make out?
I also attended Hollins and found it the best therapy for their unique approach.
You label yourself with "a mild stutter."  That's a very subjective assessment.  I belong to a support group and there are those who go from mild to severe.
I have observed that those who think they are "mild" have a mental attitude of being severe. 
I have been through several different types of therapy for specific problems, such as speaking on the telephone.  We all have our different hang-ups.

If you reply to this post, I would like to tell you of my understanding and my own revelation of the Hollins therapy. Others may be interested in "my take"
and interpretation.

Regards......Philip
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 07:41:58 PM by Flip4913 »

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 03:56:09 AM »
I am 37 years old and have a mild stutter.  I have went to cognitive therapy as well as traditional speech therapy for a very short period of time.  I also tried hypnotherapy as well as acupuncture.  I recently listened to an interview with John Stossel about stuttering and his experience with Hollins.  He sounded very similar to my experience and he also indicated that this was the best help for him.  I have recently enrolled in Hollins for next month and am curious about any experiences with Hollins. Admin - I noticed that you had indicated that this was the best help for you in particular.  Could you expound upon your experience?  If anyone else has experience, I would certainly be interested to hear your feedback.

Thanks!

Hi Mike,

It's I who should apologize for not replying to your post in Feb... My sincerest apologies Mike.

YES, I completed Hollins back in the early 90's and came out of it 100% fluent, This period of fluency lasted approximately 2 months while I was doing my daily practice lessons, Soon after this two month period the stutter (or rather my old behavior) began creeping up on me and I stuttered worse than before I entered Hollins... Don't get me wrong, I'm not throwing Hollins under the bus here, the program is excellent!, it's intensive and very effective. Your taught a new way of speaking, a new behavior that needs to take hold. I simply feel if I had followup therapy where I live in California, I would of been successful in overcoming my Stutter, I firmly believe this.  Having a coach is critical to the success of most therapies.

I was about 30 years old when I went to Hollins, Stuttered for 25 years... It's unrealistic to think your new behavior is going to take hold in the two week period your at Hollins, it's not going to happen, you need to practice your new way of speaking constantly for at least 6 months, perhaps longer depending on how old your are.

If you completed Hollins, please share with us your experience.... I hope you haven't relapsed, but in the event you did, PLEASE DON"T GIVE UP like I did, you can recover from it... Always stay in contact with your Hollins therapist, especially when going through a difficult time. And if you need any advice or support here, please don't hesitate.

Good luck my friend!

Nick

In the Kings Speech, a mentor or coach helfhe has a m I contacted them a couple years ago and they have yet to offer followup support w

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 03:57:59 AM »

If you reply to this post, I would like to tell you of my understanding and my own revelation of the Hollins therapy. Others may be interested in "my take"
and interpretation.

Regards......Philip

I'd very much like to hear it.

Mathew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 11:51:41 PM »
I'm sorry administrator for posting outside links, I did not know it was not allowed.

Does anyone here know whether Hollins has a satellite office here in California? I'd like to go but the travel cost exceed my budget, Thank you :)

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 10:31:11 AM by Admin »

Einimazz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 11:26:32 PM »
This led to any real or not.

CortezTod

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 03:15:53 AM »
What is the entrance procedure?